The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the nation’s leading voice promoting equity and education for women and girls. Since our founding in 1881, AAUW members have examined and taken positions on the fundamental issues of the day — educational, social, economic, and political. Our visions is simple – we bring people together for the common goal of breaking through educational and economic barriers for women and girls. Our Mission is sound – advancing equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research.
Our 170,000 members and supporters span local and virtual communities, cities, and college campuses, all over the world. On campuses, we foster the next generation of women in leadership and in the workplace. After graduation, we mentor, fund, and support educational and professional development. From college through career and beyond, we’re working to change the future.
- Research – We analyze gender equity issues in education and the workplace.
- Campus Initiatives – We help shape the lives of the next generation of women leaders.
- STEM Education – We are leveling the playing field for girls and women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- Public Policy – We advocate for policies that advance equity for women and girls.
- Case Support – We support challenges to sex discrimination in higher education and the workplace.
- Educational Funding – We provide educational and lifelong learning opportunities for women.
- Global Connections – We respond to the global development needs of women, helping them contribute to the economic and social development of their countries.
- Member Leadership – We provide leadership development opportunities to AAUW members.
- Salary Negotiation – Through AAUW Start Smart and AAUW Work Smart, we are fighting to close the pay gap, one workshop at a time.
- and more!
Gender Equity & Economic Security
We’ve led the fight for fair pay and economic opportunity for women — and the battle continues: Women still get just 82 cents for every dollar paid to a man, and men continue to dominate the top roles and highest-paying professions.
Intersectional. Inclusive. Intergenerational. Empowering.
Though we are nonpartisan, we are not values-neutral: We fight to remove the barriers and biases that stand in the way of gender equity. We train women to negotiate for pay and benefits and to pursue leadership roles. And we advocate for federal, state and local laws and policies to ensure equity and end discrimination.
We’ve been working to narrow the gender pay gap, which greets women as soon as they enter the workforce and widens throughout their working lives. Unequal wages stand in the way of a woman’s ability to pay off student debt, build wealth and save for a secure retirement.
We champion equal opportunities in education. Though more than 60% of college graduates are women, they face barriers and biases throughout their schooling. From pre-school to graduate school, girls and women are unconsciously steered into certain fields of studies and away more lucrative ones, such as in STEM.
Our members, supporters and staff work on local, state and federal levels to support laws and policies that enable women’s success. Our work in statehouses and the U.S. Capitol has helped pass hundreds of pieces of legislation. Our Legal Advocacy team has supported plaintiffs in more than 125 gender equity legal cases.